Intro to Steering
Multiple Canoes on the Water
- When out with other canoes, stay in sight of each other when doing the same work out.
- Hail each other with a whistle or call on a cell phone if needed.
- If you are doing separate work outs, plan a time to meet back up on the water before launching the canoes.
- Steerspersons communicated with each other, so they know each canoe’s intended routes.
Course Planning & Awareness on the Water
- Conditions equal to crew ability
- Beware; conditions can change quickly
- Steersman watches for boating traffic
- Steersman aware of tide, current, weather forecast & water temperature
- Area familiarity
- Be able to describe our location if we need assistance
- If only one canoe, always set a float plan with someone on shore.
- Call them when you get in.
- When in sight of an approaching vessel, make a deliberate course change so the other boat or ship knows well in advance your intended heading